Are you a good gift-giver? I'm horrible. I used to give people gifts that I would personally like to receive, but now I'm pretty much clueless. Some people really enjoy giving gifts, and that's wonderful. It's not that I don't enjoy the act of giving, I'm just horrible at knowing what to give. And when I know I'm expected to give gifts, i.e. Christmas, I tend to get all weird and resentful at the pressure (not the people), and then I have a little (or not-so-little) crisis about consumerism and the gaping spiritual wound in our society, and that's quickly followed by a mild depression.

I suppose that's the definition of 'neurotic'.


 Do some people go through the holiday season without thinking these things? Shouldn't I be past this?

whatever. 

What do you think about gift-giving? For years I made a point to get the kids simple gifts, and only one per child! I also didn't put the gifts under the tree until Christmas Eve, after they were asleep. I always hated the greediness I felt as a child, counting and shaking the gifts, wondering why I got one less than everyone else. I really hated it, even as a little girl. I tried to avoid it all together with my kids, but that rarely works. I remember reading one of the Little House on the Prairie books where Laura described what Christmas morning was like growing up, and just crying at the simplicity and beauty of it. Just crying at the joy and gratefulness she felt over things like a simple hand-stitched doll, a fresh orange, and a stick of peppermint. What is it about a person who reads something so lovely and just cries about it? What IS that??  

In other news, I think I'm going to stop coloring my hair, for good. These are the things one thinks about at 46. Why did I hesitate to type 46? THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. That deeply ingrained repulsion to anything 'mid-life'. When i was 19, I noticed women in their 40's trying so hard to appear younger, and I swore I wouldn't do that. I had clarity then about how sad and futile (and UNNECESSARY) that was. I want clarity again. 

That's what I want for Christmas.

Comments

I'm a terrible gift giver. I go to the same candy store every Christmas and buy a pound or two of chocolates for my wife. I try and get the kind she likes, but I can never remember exactly where I went wrong the previous year. Is it the "bark' she particularly likes in dark chocolate or the turtles? I can never remember. So I cover my bases, and get a variety of both, light and dark. And it's not like she particularly likes the chocolate from this place... it's just that it's local and I like it, and I enjoy going there. I'm a creature of habits, and this is one of them. I don't seldom stray from my habitual routines and comfort zone.

And most stores/malls are WAY out of my comfort zone. So that makes me a terrible gift giver.
Jen said…
I feel your pain! If I were to shop local, it would have to be something from the local auto parts store, ag feed store, or the sad grocery store. I usually default to Amazon. some years we just agreed to go on a trip together and let that be our Christmas gift, which is what I prefer. But who the heck knows when we can travel again?
Jen said…
P.s. And my humble opinion you can't go wrong with dark chocolate covered almonds, or dark chocolate with peppermint bark. Dark chocolate turtles are amazing too.
Maybe that's the answer - Peppermint bark.... I'll have to check. It used to be run by a little old lady who would gift wrap it all for you, if you had the time. She died two years ago, but the relatives decided to keep it going after closing it down for about six months. I've been buying my chocolate there for about forty years now...
btw - she was a little old lady when I STARTED buying chocolate there....

...and they no gift wrap. :(
Jen said…
It sounds like a charming little candy shop. I'm glad you continue to support them!
Reminds me of a little gift shop in my home town in west Texas with all things Irish.
The owners were a little mom and pop from Ireland, and last time I went in, "mom" was in her upper 80's. She had to use a magnifying glass to hand-write the receipt!

I don't think they had any kids, so it'll probably go when they go. :(

Still, what a neat shop!

get a pretty little gift bag and that'll be as pretty as gift wrap. :)
Good idea! Gift bags.... ;)
nicrap said…
You guys need not give me anything for the Xmas! :p
...cuz I'm pretty sure I could give you several. ;)
nicrap said…
lol. And i thought i am among friends here! :p
An STD isn't "friendly"? ;p
Jen said…
I've been watching a ton of disgusting surgical videos on YouTube. I can give you links to the best ones.
Jen said…
Some people learn how to fix a leaky drain on YouTube. I learn how to remove a gall bladder. I can give you the gift of free surgery...
nicrap said…
Such charitable thoughts on Christmas!
Speedy G said…
You certainly are particular about what you're NOT getting for Christmas...
Speedy G said…
Coffee w/o milk or coffee w/o cream? It's ALL up to you...
nicrap said…
Merry Christmas, guys! May you spread the virus (covid, std's what not) to many! :)
Merry Christmas, Nikhil! May you never catch the diseases I spread!

Merry Christmas Jen and family!
Jen said…
Merry Christmas Nikhil!

Merry Christmas FJ!
Jen said…
I love it!

This is what I call "The Napoleon Dynamite Effect".
It's what I call "Geeks Rule!" ;)
Jen said…
That too. ;)

Happy New Year, friend.
nicrap said…
Yeah, yeah, i don't exist!
Jen said…
Happy New Year, Budhu! 🥳
nicrap said…
Happy new year everyone! :) :)
Happy New Year, Nikhil!

Popular Posts