Physical therapy is going really well. I'm honestly enjoying the experience of being around young therapists and other patients. There's a camraderie in the PT clinic very similar to the weight room, or the training room of the field house. I miss my athletic self. I miss the connection with other athletes. 

............

We've been taught to strive for the wrong things. It's all about status and recognition. But who really gives a shit? If you're not at work, earning money for rich a-holes you'll never see and who don't give a shit about you or what you do, who really cares about your advanced degrees? 

I sound pretty crude. I'm probably just insecure that I don't have a terminal degree. I just see so much ego and so little humanity. But that's "work", right? Hard to combine the two. Any attempt to usually goes terribly wrong. 

Working in healthcare once had an element of humanity that outweighed the push for profit, but from what I'm seeing, those days are gone. I've honestly considered working in hospice to get back to the humanity that is lacking in corporate healthcare.


I ran into an old church friend. She's one of those that has never stopped trying to get me to come back to the local church. It's been 14 years since I went regularly. She looked me in the eyes and told me she's going to come visit me at home to get me to come back. I think I'll have to just tell her the truth: I'm MUCH happier now. It's not God that I dislike, it's church (and even some folks specifically). She would likely not believe me. Honestly, my life is better. I still believe in Christ, I just don't like dressing up and NOT talking about what's really going on in my life. It's so exhausting and it left me feeling hollowed-out and lonelier than ever. If I wouldn't hang out with those people on Friday night, how can I smile like an idiot when I sit next to them on Sunday? I mean, let's have a few beers and get real. Said no Baptist ever.

I got a haircut so I took a photo of myself.



Right now I like being alive. I'm not as clear as I would like to be, but I'm experiencing beauty, and that's something. Maybe Nikhil has rubbed off on me, but I'm no longer seeking those moments of overwhelm, those moments that I was taught were God. I'm seeking beauty, however and wherever.
I'm feeling somewhat in possession of my self, somewhat calm in my age and experience. 

 We went shooting today at a state park and listened to good music. The afternoon light on the falling leaves mixed with the music and brought the tears out. I needed it.













Comments

Very relaxing video...

Sounds like you're in a good place. Good for ya!
nicrap said…
Look Guys! She mentioned me! Yay! Hehe. :)

Now i know why i feel a little thin at the edges ... from rubbing off on others. :) :p
Jen said…
Isn't that music soothing, FJ?
Jen said…
You've influenced me more than you'll ever know, Nikhil.
:-)
Hammock's in my YouTube algorithm now! I love the water drops, too... Reminds me of driving in snow flurries.

@Nikhil... thinning on the edges... or just on top? ;)
nicrap said…
Where are our manners? The hair looks nice, Jen!
Thersites said…
Happy Thanksgiving!

"Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that makes you smile." - Mark Twain
Jen said…
Well thanks Nikhil! I'm trying to grow it out.

Great Mark Twain quote, FJ. I could definitely be better about these things.
Jen said…
And Happy Thanksgiving to you FJ! I hope you had some good pumpkin pie!
I did. And pecan pie. And apple pie. And almost some cherry pie... but I got there too late. :(
Jen said…
Cherry pie is my favorite.
Mine too. That's what I get for trying to save the best for last. :(
Jen said…
Happy New Year FJ and Nikhil. We went from 75° to 19° in just a few hours yesterday, so I'm snuggled up watching The Great British Baking Show today.
Jen said…
Happy New Year FJ and Nikhil. We went from 75° to 19° in just a few hours yesterday, so I'm snuggled up watching The Great British Baking Show today.
This comment has been removed by the author.
errata- Yes, it was 60 yesterday and I took the dogs out to walk in 1/2 inch of snow this morning. Looks like winter may have finally arrived.

nicrap said…
HAppy new year, guys!
nicrap said…
Thrown my neck out this time. Has been more than a month. Cervical Radioculopathy, says the doctor. :D :)

Popular Posts