The Mississippi Delta

I hope I can go back soon.

























This is Robert Johnson's grave, supposedly.





The land has held on to so many memories, horrible and haunting, and it was palpable. I can't say why I loved it so much, but I did. Maybe it reminded me of the flat plains and cotton fields where I grew up, but the melancholy was intense, and undeniable.


Having lived my whole life in Texas, I thought I knew "The South"...but this was different. It tasted, smelled, looked, sounded, and emotionally felt different. The people were softer and less guarded.  There was a sense of defiance in the air...and I liked that. And the history, it just brought me to my knees. Seriously, I was emotionally exhausted after 5 days, and as much as I loved being there I had to leave.

I know I'll go back though.








Comments

Thersites said…
Stay away from those crossroads! ;)
Thersites said…
Sounds like a great trip. What I find interesting is the "distance" the Delta is from what I had previously considered to be the Mississippi's "delta" (mouth).
Z said…
My cat's name is BLUES....she'd love Johnson :-)
This was a very powerful post, Jen...I'd LOVE to hear more about that area because I know NOTHING about it except when I'm reading books by Welty or Twain or others who 'get it'...thanks...great pix.
Steven said…
HeartMindfulSoul
Jen said…
I guess I missed the comments completely! Yes, I thought the Delta was at the mouth of the Mississippi, too.
Fj, you have GOT to see "O' Brother Where Art Thou?". Seriously. So many Southern references!
Jen said…
Sorry I missed your comment, Z. I have a confession...I haven't read Twain yet! I can't believe it either. This bookstore Thor looks like fun... https://bookriot.com/2014/10/26/literary-tourism-mississippis-55/
Jen said…
Bookstore tour.

Oh, and Morgan Freeman is from there, and William Faulkner. :)

Popular Posts