This is my first diptych. I used an outdated version of Lightroom and a tutorial that I found online.
Cold, rainy days are excellent opportunities for me to experiment like this. So often I feel too rushed to sit and take the time to learn something new.
I love that the image on the left was made by hand with paper, light, water, and developer, while the image on the right is digital all the way.


-----------


My darkroom class is looking up. No, I'm still not meticulous about the details (there was dust on my first print), but I MADE MY FIRST PRINT. It's just like in the movies, when she uses tongs to put the paper into the developing tray and then watches as the image miraculously appears. It is magic. I learned how to make a contact sheet, do test strips, and USE AN ENLARGER!!!

I was so excited to come home and use my own equipment! Turns out that I have everything I need to make prints at home. From taking the shot, to developing the film, to enlarging and processing the print!!

Is film dying? Are we really going to watch this process fade into obscurity? Even in the short time that I've been taking pictures, the price of film has nearly doubled, and I've seen more than one type of instant film go extinct. I realize that creating a print in the darkroom takes a LOT more work and effort than printing a digital image, but there's so much to be gained by learning this process. It's not about photography....

Comments

Jen said…
Yes. The same one that chewed up my good headphones yesterday.
Thersites said…
:(

I thought that maybe it was the cat from what appeared to be " hardware store" (previous thread).
Jen said…
Nope. The feed store cat actually earns his keep. :p

Ducky's here said…
At first glance, kitty looks like (s)he's having a smoke.
Jen said…
Thanks Ducky.
nicrap said…
They call them stupid. They understand what we say better than we understand them. She understands all she wants to. Vindictive too. Cruel. Her nature. Curious mice never squeal. Seem to like it. Wonder what I look like to her. Height of a tower? No, she can jump me.
—Afraid of the chickens she is, he said mockingly. Afraid of the chookchooks. I never saw such a stupid pussens as the pussens.
Cruel. Her nature. Curious mice never squeal. Seem to like it.
—Mrkrgnao! the cat said loudly.
She blinked up out of her avid shameclosing eyes, mewing plaintively and long, showing him her milkwhite teeth. He watched the dark eyeslits narrowing with greed till her eyes were green stones. Then he went to the dresser, took the jug Hanlon's milkman had just filled for him, poured warmbubbled milk on a saucer and set it slowly on the floor.
—Gurrhr! she cried, running to lap.
He watched the bristles shining wirily in the weak light as she tipped three times and licked lightly. Wonder is it true if you clip them they can't mouse after. Why? They shine in the dark, perhaps, the tips. Or kind of feelers in the dark, perhaps.
Jen said…
:)
she really is a sweet cat and she keeps my feet warm at night. She just doesn't care much for music.

Popular Posts