reasons

my reasons involved feeling trapped. trapped and overly-domesticated. I remember the first time i heard "overly-domesticated". it was an accurate description, because i was SO domesticated that i didn't realize there was anything else. it starts early...immediately. and once i knew, there was no going back. no more heels and jewelry to church on sunday. no more church on sunday. no more smiling when respected men made offensive comments. no more answering questions from underserving people. no more explaining why...fuck you, that's why. i went too far into the wild, but it was necessary. i want my girls to know that there is no "normal". there are no "good" girls and "bad" girls. it's all a lie. and that's what i know. I don't study it anymore, because once i started seeing it in my life, why read about it? why stoke a fire that burns on it's own? Raising girls is like walking a tight rope. I know what I saw growing up, but their experience is different, still. we're not equal. we're ALL objectified, and WE do it. i'll never stop believing that we can do better.

Comments

Jen said…


is it regional? is it different up North?

Here in "THE SOUTH" it's intense.
I just had a conversation with my best friend and we discussed how women judge other women for not wearing makeup, not carrying "real" purses, not decorating their homes. in the year 2020.

the older i get, the more attracted i am to wildness. friends who go against norms give me joy and life.

in my 30's i felt alone and alien.
now i'm not lonely.
i've made several AMAZING friends in recent years, who are wildly unique. i love them so much.

life is too short to live in a box, self-constructed or otherwise.
nicrap said…
life is too short to live in a box, self-constructed or otherwise.

...reminds me of a story by Chekhov, Man in a Case(?) i think that was the title.
Thersites said…
ps - It's much easier to reach "judgement" than "understanding". To reach "understanding" you must not only answer the question "qui voui?", but also "why do they want it?"
Thersites said…
erratum "che vuoi" for "qui voui" above
nicrap said…
Re your link.

I have a very old Raduga Chekhov (5 volumes). The translation is so much better and different that for a moment i couldn't really perceive that it's the same story.

I remember the trilogy. Particularly don't like Chekhov of this phase (actually anything after 84-85 when imo he did his best work. The Death of a Clerk, Chamaeleon, The miscreant, to name a few.)
Thersites said…
I'm sorry, I simply Googled and took the first hit. It was probably a "modern" translation. Sorry. I can't stand "moderns".
nicrap said…
No problem.

May never have seen a sports match like the one: https://youtu.be/LzPQXK7KLuA
nicrap said…
Love did, surely. ;)
...but only if no one keeps score. ;)
nicrap said…
Did they look like as if they were keeping score? ;)

Popular Posts