This week in bullshittery:

my employer asked for physical therapists and occupational therapists to volunteer to see c19 patients. A couple days later they requested that we send them selfie photos in our handmade personal protective equipment, for marketing purposes. Keep in mind, a person can be positive with c19 while showing no symptoms. We have to assume every patient we see has it and we have to assume that we have it. Why would we not be given n95 masks one might ask? But I digress. after being asked to volunteer to see positive patients as well as being asked to send selfies  for marketing purposes, my employer had the audacity to send us each a letter stating that effective immediately our rates would be cut by 45%. Not only that, but full-time employees would now be considered per diem, and they will only receive insurance and financial benefits, which they were promised, if they could guarantee and achieve full-time patient care. This will effectively pit employee against employee as they will compete to keep their schedules. We have no control over this though, because with the pandemic our patient load has decreased significantly. My great employer has simultaneously used our photos in our homemade masks for marketing purposes while cutting our rates and taking away insurance from families who desperately need it. That is the biggest bullshit move I have seen in a very long time. I wonder if the CEO still has medical coverage? I wonder if HIS pay was cut 45%?

 Maybe I'll apply at a grocery store, I hear they're handing out gloves and face masks to their employees.

PS. I received my n95 mask from an artist friend who had one for ceramics. And I'm buying my gloves myself. FOR PROFIT HEALTHCARE IS BULLSHIT FOR EVERYONE BUT THOSE AT THE TOP.  I assure you, the margins are primary, NOT patient care and satisfaction.

Comments

I haven't been affected thus far working from home... but my daughter just had her pay cut 20% as the clients of the Entertainment law firm she works for aren't touring and giving large concerts...

If anything, you should be getting hazard pay, NOT a pay cut!
Jen said…
It's all about the bottom line. I'm so disheartened by it. Asking people to volunteer to treat positive covid patients and simultaneously cutting their insurance. No soul.
Jen said…
Is this real? What the hell is happening? What's the truth?
Good questions.

"Once more on Fair Schuylkill we cheerfully meet,
Our Sachems, our warriors, our (brethren to greet ;
The Great King above, has allow'd us again
To bury the hatchet, and brighten the chain,

Then your hands all my sons who for freedom have stood,
Who rescued my land at th' expense of your blood:
Such honors in history's bright annals shall shine,
And I glory to think such bold heroes are mine."

"Our hearts and hands are always free,
To brave the storm for Tammany;
When he commands, his sons obey,
Over the hills and far away.

Over the hills, like wind we fly,
To crush the foe, or bravely die;
Our Saint's commands none disobey,
Over the hills and far away."
Jen said…
Sorry FJ, I just saw this. I suppose I'm not a member of this particular class, primarily because I still have insurance for my husband's employer. However, the points made in the article or valid. My former employer used selfies of nurses and therapists in PPE for their marketing campaign during the pandemic while simultaneously planning the layoff has hundreds of employees. I hope they go under.
Mrs. Grundy said…
No problems. My Karen isn't here just yet... ;)
Jen said…
I'm gonna need to talk to your manager! ;)

Popular Posts