On Children by Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts.
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.






Comments

Thersites said…
Funny how the mind works.... I see faces and forms in the randomness of the images.

Cool!
Ducky's here said…
Fine poem. Better illustrations.
Is it just me? Or is the past (or our memory of it) mostly images... old photographs... old 8mm shorts. What will tomorrow's generations memories consist of? Images AND voices? Cell-phone generated YouTube videos?

I listened to an old audio of my Uncle Louie the other day from the 60's. It brought back so many memories. There were no images to accompany it.

Yet I sit here and can no longer remember the sound of my own mother's voice (died in '76). I'm sure that if I heard it, it could all come back...
Funny, it's just a voice. But it brings back so much that a photograph can't!
Jen said…
I'm afraid my children's generation will have fewer memories than we do because instead of being present in the moment, they were holding up their cell phones to record it. The recording of an event is proven to reduce a person's memory of the event.

I think it's great that you have a recording of your uncle's voice. And I agree that audio recordings bring an entirely new dimension to our memories. It is fascinating how the brain works and the auditory circuitry is certainly different than the optical circuitry. I've always heard that our sense of smell brings back the strongest recollection of memories. If you can remember what kind of perfume your mother wore, you might try to get your hands on some and see if that can jog some memories loose.
Jen said…
Do you know the person in the recordings?
Jen said…
Thank you Ducky.
Thersites said…
The recording linked was of my uncle Louie.

Nope, I've got pictures and movies of my mom, but no sound.
Thersites said…
ps- The painting that he's paired with was an ADM Cooper. My uncle used to own a few, had acquired them after the 1915 Pananam-Pacific Exhibition in San Francisco. He eventuallu sold them all to the city of San Jose.

Popular Posts