mundane beauty

 


So turns out that I love camping. (I'm just going to write, because it feels good at the moment and I have so little control over anything right now, but I can sit here and write whatever comes to my mind...) I really love camping. I bought this 1995 pop up camper back in June, having never used a pop up, and only been tent camping a handful of times. But I'd been thinking about buying my own camper for over a year. So I did it. And I love it. I love hooking the camper up to my car and towing it. I had to learn how to do that, since I'd never towed anything before. It's fun, by the way. I had to learn how to set up the camper and take it down. It's exhausting, in the best possible way. I had to learn how to turn on the water heater, hook up the electric, work the little potty, and hook up the butane. I had to learn everything about it. Then I bought my first ever Texas State Park Pass. Actually that was a Christmas gift from my  husband. (It was a GREAT gift!!) And now that I've taken my camper across state lines, into two national parks, and camped in many different state parks, I'm having to do some maintenance. See the photo above? My electrical cord got dragged somewhere between New Mexico and Texas.

I decided to fix it myself. I watched a few videos on soldering, borrowed a soldering iron, and did it. (Heat shrink is really fun to use, by the way...)
So now the cord is fixed. Sadly, my blinkers and brake lights aren't working, but at least it has lights again, and electric. I may still have to take it to the pros to get a new cord installed, but I'm proud of myself for learning a new skill and giving it my best shot.

What exactly do I love about camping? It's my time. I get to disconnect from all media and Internet. I get to hear natural noises and sleep late, or wake up with the sun. I don't wear any makeup or even brush my hair. I get to drink lots of coffee and take lots of naps. I read and listen to my music. I am reminded that the people at home and everything they do can and will go on without me...quite well in fact.

I feel like myself again.

I've asked several friends to go camping with me, and they all say "Yes! I'd love to!"....but so far, nobody has. And I'm not the least bit upset about it.


                                   :-)









And this is our newest dog, Hank. He's got to be over 40 lbs by now, and he's six months old. He's the cutest dog I've ever seen. He loves to camp, too.









Comments

nicrap said…
See? Toldja. She just needed a kick in the seat of the pants. ;)

Bravo, Jen! We love ya!
Jen said…
aww. I need to be kicked pretty regularly, actually. It just takes a good friend to do it.

thanks, and love you too.
Jen said…
Thanks for reminding me of kintsugi! Soldering was a lot of fun. I may have missed calling in metallurgy... :P
Thersites said…
btw - It's a lot easier to fix "objects" than "people". Stick with "people".
Jen said…
Oh I like that! Thanks for sharing. :)
Jen said…
I might be out of luck in both cases! Not feeling very handy lately.
Z said…
I had a boyfriend once who had a VW Bus camper....and he had a key to a private beach in Santa Barbara, where we went several times and camped out....talk about roughing it! Uncharacteristically (my idea of 'camping' usually a hotel with no room service), I loved it.
But I loved him, so...........
Jen said…
Great story, Z!! Love makes it all worth while!

P.s. I'd love to have a VW bus/camper. I've seen some adorable ones online that folks have restored.
Unknown said…
Soldering is a fantastic skill to add to your repertoire, I never thought I would use it until I learned how to make a small solar set up for my greenhouse. Now I use it any chance I get, sometimes I even hope that some small, cheap piece of electronics I own will break so that I can fix it.

Dennis Cannon @ Laird And Son

Popular Posts