sometimes i lose myself a little bit
in the thickness of walking with my children
watching them try on new and different identities
i lose myself

i miss myself, too

that comfort that comes from my deepest sense of self
that reassurance that touches back to a time when i felt at home
anywhere

i know it's always there
but after time, that connection feels weak
just when i am trying to be strong
i am the one needing courage

it's always there
i just turn around
and see her
holding her hands open for me to hold

JB

Comments

Thersites said…
I liked that. A completed ontological "cycle" of being... becoming... being w/"others".
Jen said…
I'm on the hampster wheel!
Jen said…
Which begs the question...why don't we all get along better?
Perhaps we just expect too much, from others and ourselves.

*Squeek, Squeek, Squeek*

...

Now how do I get off this Merry-go-Round???
Kawanio che keeteru!

There's a barrel of porter at Tammany Hall,
And the bucktails are swigging it all the night long;
In the time of my boyhood 'twas pleasant to call
For a seat and segar, mid the jovial throng.

That beer and those bucktails I never forget;
But oft, when alone, and unnoticed by all,
I think, is the porter cask foaming there yet?
Are the bucktails still swigging at Tammany Hall?

No! the porter was out long before it was stale,
But some blossoms on many a nose brightly shone;
And the speeches inspired by the fumes of the ale,
Had the fragrance of porter when porter was gone.

How much Cozzens will draw of such beer ere he dies,
Is a question of moment to me and to all;
For still dear to my soul, as 'twas then to my eyes,
Is that barrel of porter at Tammany Hall.


- Fitz-Greene Halleck, "Song"
Jen said…
Kawanio che keeteru!!
(sorry I'm late :)
No worries. <=>|;0 (feathered headdress?)
Z said…
"The thickness of walking with my children"
Gorgeous, Jenn...

Popular Posts