You know what I just realized?

I can't stand people who claim to like animals more than people.

Funny, huh?

A) it's too easy. I mean, where's the effort?

B) if you openly claim to like animals more than people, how can you expect anyone to really like YOU??

C) I just realized that I DON'T LIKE THOSE VERY PEOPLE.

 D) I'm the jerk.





This is what most of my thinking boils down to lately. When I think about people and situations that are difficult, the final conclusion is usually that I'm the jerk. I am such a conflicted Christian.


I hear so many people talk about how awful other humans are, and all I can think is have you looked at yourself lately? How are you different than those so called awful people? Are you really just projecting what you think about yourself? And in my judgment I realize that I am the jerk. Right now I'm not sure how to get out of this loop.

I haven't read my Bible since Easter. But when I did crack it open, it felt like a warm hug from the best friend I've ever had. Every word rings true and reminds me why I believed in the first place. My soul wakes up when I get back to the basics.

My prayer in the coming weeks will be that I can focus my eyes on what is true and let my heart open to the changes that need to take place. I grow tired of being cold and unforgiving. It only serves to contribute to loneliness and regret.

Where there is Grace, there is freedom.

Sorry to sound... Preachy...I don't know how else to say it. I miss loving people. I miss having those eyes of love that see a stranger and feel empathy and love, agape love. It still happens. But too often I judge people in a way that I would hate to be judged.

Where there is Grace, there is freedom.

James 4:6 But our Lord gives us more grace; therefore, he said, “God humbles the proud and he gives grace to the humble.”


Comments

Ah, the Three Graces, goddesses of such things as charm, beauty, and creativity/ fertility.

I suppose that to those "graces/ charites" I might add the "charm" of "mercy" in the powerful...

For where would we all be w/o mercy?

The quality of mercy is not strained.
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.
'Tis mightiest in the mightiest; it becomes
The thronèd monarch better than his crown.
His scepter shows the force of temporal power,
The attribute to awe and majesty
Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings;
But mercy is above this sceptered sway.
It is enthronèd in the hearts of kings;
It is an attribute to God Himself;
And earthly power doth then show likest God's
When mercy seasons justice. Therefore, Jew,
Though justice be thy plea, consider this:
That in the course of justice none of us
Should see salvation. We do pray for mercy,
And that same prayer doth teach us all to render
The deeds of mercy. I have spoke thus much
To mitigate the justice of thy plea,
Which, if thou follow, this strict court of Venice
Must needs give sentence 'gainst the merchant
there.


— Portia, in William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice, Act 4, Scene 1.
Jen said…
Yes, it's a weakness of mine, both showing Mercy and accepting it.

Thanks for the reminder

Popular Posts